Pages

Tuesday 13 August 2013

Maybelline Color Show Polka Dots Review

Last week I felt the urge to go shopping for nailpolish. I was after some matte finish glitter polishes, but came across a bottle of Maybelline Color Show Polka Dots, which I had eyed earlier and still couldn't get out of my mind. There were two colours available, a dark pink and a teal. The teal looked more my style, the pink was a bit too muddy.

The polish has a coloured base with black and white flakes of different sizes. It reminds me of some sort of stone in the bottle.

Maybelline Color Show Polka Dots

Three coats and a quick dry top coat applied.
The polish was a bit tricky to apply, I managed to get some clumps of "polka dots" and sometimes the brush seemed to only have small dots even if I shook the bottle between nails. The coloured base was quite thin, but it needs to be to make the lower layers of dots show through. With three layers the end result was quite thick, thanks to the dots, but it replicated the interesting stone-look the polish had in the bottle. I'm usually not a fan of patterned nails, but these were a nice accent to all-black outfits and needed no jewellery to compliment them. The final result doesn't remind me of polka dots at all, but it's very pretty! I recommend a thick topcoat with this polish, since it leaves a bit bumpy surface. You should also gently file the ends of your nails where you feel the dot particles sticking out, they might snag on something otherwise. Or just drive you crazy, I hate the feeling of something on my nails getting stuck on things, I'm always afraid I'll break a nail!


A bit overexposed, but you can see the layers of dots better in this one.

7 comments:

  1. I saw these already, the dark blue looks so pretty (in store), the one I will be picking up when they put them on sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the dark blue version, but it sounds really nice! I hope you find it on sale :)

      Delete
  2. This nailpolish looks really nice :) I might add another one in my huge nail polish stash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok... first I love your blog and everything about it. I love those nails, but... yes but... do you have someking of "magic" remover, because everytime I get this kind of "sparkle" nailpolish, it takes a gallon of remover and soooo long to get it out... what's your "trick" ?
    Laila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elbow grease and nail file ;P I use remover with acetone (usually something very cheap) and cotton pads, and put so much remover on the pad that it's soaking. Then I let the soaked pad sit on the nails for a while and just scrub off as much as I can. This polish was really stubborn because of the larger particles, so I just scrubbed off what I could, washed my hands and gently filed away with a nail file the big particles that were left, then finished by wiping the remaining polish (that had been under the particles) off with polish remover. You should use nail oil or a rich hand cream afterwards, as acetone tends to dry nails. I hope this helps!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...